The United Kingdom is now the fifth highest military spender in the world with an annual budget of £48 billion. How would YOU allocate this money to make the world a safer place? Go to the 2018 on-line survey and share link with others!
SPREADING THE WORD
- Use Twitter. Between 16 – 22 April help a create a Twitter storm by tweeting what you would spend £48 billion on to @hmtreasury with #GCOMS #RethinkSecurity e.g. @hmtreasury “If I had £48 billion a year I would prefer to spend it on #NHS. I prefer. #GCOMS #RethinkSecurity”
- Look out for news stories of national and local cuts to health/education/overseas aid/community development/climate change and sustainable development – stories may provide useful opportunities for letters to editors, or messages to use in articles, letters or banners.
- These are ‘Global’ days so emphasise the links and solidarity with others around the world taking action of the same day.
Take Action Think the government has its spending priorities wrong? Let them know!
What if the United Kingdom took real action to tackle the biggest threat we face: climate change? Shift arms to renewables.
Sign the petition to Boris Johnson and stop UK arms exports to Saudi Arabia. The UK has continued to support Saudi air strikes in Yemen and provide arms despite overwhelming evidence of repeated breaches of international
Find out more about this project and join the conversation
Do you work with young people?
Find out how they would vote with these education resources.
- Budget for a safer world lesson and assembly from Quaker Peace & Social Witness
- Military Spending workshop from Pax Christi UK
- Watch Give Peace a Budget Film from Pax Christi UK (Aimed at young people but could be used with all ages)
Take part in the Rethinking Security competition